Monday 6 February 2012

Fraser Island in a 4WD


My next adventure saw me make my way up to Rainbow Beach where I was to undertake the real Fraser Island Experience.




After a short ride on the Oz Experience bus, only a two and a half hour journey, made a lot quicker by the knowledgable commentary from the tour guide, we were dropped off at our accommodation. I stayed in Fraser's on Rainbow Beach for two nights which was perfect, as it provided me with the opportunity to meet some amazing people from all corners of the globe, and also to bond with the group that I was going over to Fraser Island with.







The next day consisted of an early rise so that we could pack the cars and head over to Fraser island for our Fraser Island Four-wheel-drive Adventure. Usually this early start would of bothered me as I love my sleep ins, however, this time around I was definitely too excited to sleep. 


First stop in Fraser Island was to our Campsite where we set up our tents and cooking areas, and then straight onto Lake Mackenzie for a swim to cool down. Lake Mackenzie is by far one of the most beautiful places that I have ever experienced and definitely a MUST SEE for any backpacker or tourists traveling around Australia. The cooling freshwater, soft, talcum powder-like sand and beautiful aqua colour of the water was definitely difficult to say goodbye to at the end of the day.








The second day was full of activities, including a visit to the champagne pools. These pools are large rock pools that filter out anything from the ocean, causing beautiful aqua pools of water.
After a quick stop at the rock pools, we then made our way to Indian Headland beach, where we had a quick lunch stop and then a hike up to the headland. The view was spectacular and we easily found ourselves staring out onto the ocean for over two hours.








The next stop for the day was at Eli Creek. This was probably my second favourite location of the trip - big call I know. Eli Creek is a cold freshwater creek, that runs quite quickly from a natural spring out into the ocean. The creek is so clear and refreshing that our driver said that you could even drink from it.



The final day of our Fraser Adventure was made up of what felt like a 5 day treck to Lake Wabby. Ok maybe a slight exaggeration, the walk was only 45 mins there and 45 minutes back, and yes, the scenery was well worth it. However we were definitely relieved when we arrived at the fresh water lake that was surrounded by never ending sand dunes and bush land.



On the final journey back to the barge to leave Fraser, we came across a friendly turtle that was resting on the beach. The driver mentioned that the Turtle had made its way onto the beach to die, however in this case, lets just say this beautiful Turtle was simply having a rest.



3 comments:

  1. I have heard that Fraser Island is nice but I never would have thought it would have this many good sights. Adding Fraser to the to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sar,

    Fraser Island should definitely be on your to-do list! It originally wasn't one of the places that I was most excited to see, however after going and seeing all of the beautiful scenery, it is definitely at the top of my list.

    In terms of Fraser Island, I did the 3 day camping, it was pretty full on and by no means luxurious, however I am so glad I did it and if I had the opportunity to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

    Tomorrow I will post a new entry - my top ten tips for camping on Fraser Island - be sure to read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are planning a family camping trip to Fraser Island (renting our own 4wd) in April, and I loved your pictures. We'll definitely check out Lake McKenzie and Eli Creek. :)

    ReplyDelete