Monday 20 February 2012

5 tips for Camping on Fraser Island




Fraser Island was definitely one of my favourite locations however the camping situation was unlike anything that I have EVER experienced. These tips are to get you prepared for an amazing camping adventure on Fraser.





1.  Bring insect repellent!

Fraser is renown for its large march flies. These flies are larger than the average fly and although quite slow to bite, if theft long enough on your skin, hey will end up biting you. The insect repellent somehow stops the March flies from landing on you in the first place. This was definitely my saviour on Fraser.





2. Try to avoid using the public toilets.

If you can, try and avoid toilet facilities while on Fraser Island. As most of the toilets are pitt toilets, you can imagine the smell that wafts up from the pitt. I found myself almost throwing up, just from the smell.





3. Bring playing cards 

The perfect camping game for Fraser Island is Spoons. This game is great for getting to know the other people on your tour as well as a good excuse for communal goon drinking. 






4. Bring a spare battery for your camera 

 As you won't have anywhere to charge your camera, be sure to pack a spare. If your anything like me, you will exhaust your cameras battery within the first two days, due to over use.





5. Dingos aren't always dangerous!
However, be careful with food around your campsite and do not bring food into your tent.





After all all is said and done, I hope that you aren't turned off by my tips. Fraser has been a highlight of my East Coast adventure and a renown beauty within Australia. .

No comments:

Post a Comment