Monday 9 January 2012

2012 – The Year for Travel!

As with every New Years celebration, the infamous New Year resolution follows. These goals or resolutions are usually unrealistic and sometimes difficult to achieve. How many times have you planned to lose weight, change jobs or save money….successfully?

Cruising down the beautiful Noosa River and slightly hung-over on New Year’s Day, I decided that instead of creating another unachievable and dull New Years Resolution for 2012, I will instead aim to travel and let myself loose on the world. If resolutions are meant to be about self-fulfillment, travelling the globe is surely a suitable path to achieve this.

 
With savings in my bank and an urge to travel, I have decided to lows the pictures from the Cwhich is more than capable of fufilling d eye-openingreer contributing!backpack the East Coast of Australia before heading off on a European Adventure. Having just completed my studies, there is really nothing holding me back - so no excuses! Plus it would be a great compliment to my tourism degree. Both life enriching and career contributing.

While a lot of my itinerary is still in its drafting stage, I will give you a sneak peak of what looks to be an amazing year of travel.




East Coast of Australia
Although I have lived in Australia my whole life and have visited many of it’s capital cities, I am still yet to actually see and experience what my beautiful country has to offer in its more remote locations.

I figured the best way to experience the typical Aussie backpacking trip was to book myself onto an Oz Experience bus that will take me from Brisbane to Cairns at the end of Jan. This hop on, hop off form of tour will stop at all the iconic Australian hotspots such as Noosa, Rainbow Beach/Fraser Island, Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Magnetic Island, Mission Beach and Cairns. Supposedly I will even get to try my hand at being an Aussie cowgirl at Kroombit Cattle Station, where I can participate in a goat muster and ride a mechanical bull. Keep an eye out for the pictures from the Cattle Farm, they are sure to be amusing!



London
Late April, will find me making my way to London, where I will spend a week sight seeing and experiencing the best of what London has to offer. Some of the must do’s while in London will include a Monopoly Pub Crawl, visiting London’s Portobello Road Markets, seeing the Queen, spending some pounds in Harrods and finally finding out what all the fuss is about mushy peas. I have also been advised that there is a wide range of free, yes I said FREE museums that are a must see when in London.



Contiki – Road to Athens
In May, I will depart on my first Contiki trip. This tour makes its way from London to Greece, stopping along the way in Paris, Lucerne, Munich, Tyrol, Venice, Florence, Rome, Corfu and finally ending in Athens. This trip is almost like a tasting plate, allowing me to sample the best of what each country has to offer, while partying and meeting some amazing people along the way.


Greek Islands
Mid May will be relaxation time! After the action packed Contiki tour, I will be looking forward to a bit of R&R and maybe a cocktail or two while I Island hop around the Greek Islands. Two of the Islands that are definitely on the ‘to-do’ list while I am in Greece are Santorini, to see the classic Greek Sunset and cave houses and Ios, to party, shop and lay by the beach. Knowing my clumsiness, I will most likely make a fool of myself, attempting some of the water sports that the islands have to offer.


Spain
My final stop on my European adventure is Spain. I am still deciding where to go; however, as I am only there for one week, it’s probably best if I make Barcelona my main point of call. I’m already in love with the food, Sangria and the Country, and can you blame me? You have no choice but to love a country that closes down halfway through the day for a nana nap.


Know of any travel destinations that I should add to my itinerary?

2 comments:

  1. Hey! came across your blog when i was researching the oz experience bus, i'm going on oz experience in march from sydney up to cairns and am really excited but confused as to how it works? do you have to book your travels and how long you want to stay in each place along the way before you start on the bus or is it best to do it along the way? my email is umbrellen@hotmail.co.uk if you could give me some tips but no worries if not :) looks like you had an amazing time anyway! i'm from england and mushy peas are the best ;) haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen,

    Apologies for the delay in responding. I have just been sailing around the Whitsundays for three days.... Tough life huh? :P

    Oz Experience can help you from start to finish, I've dealt with the girls in the ox experience office along with the guides who drive you and they are all so helpful and willing to go that extra mile. They will also let you know which activities are best booked in advance and where you can get the best deals.

    I preferred to book my buses through the Oz Ex call centre, as the girls were so friendly and also because I simply had no idea, as usual. However if you would prefer, you can go onto the below link to select your pass.

    https://www.ozexperience.com/maintain/login

    The Oz Ex bus is basically a hop on hop off bus tour that takes you around to all the tourism hotspots. You make the rules, make your own itinerary in regards to where you hop on and off and for how long, as your pass will be valid for 12 months.

    As Oz Experience only travels during the day, there are compulsory overnight stops where you will need to stay at least one night.

    From memory, I think the overnight stops are:-
    - Spot X Surf Camp
    - Byron Bay (My home town and one of the most beautiful and relaxed towns in Australia)
    - Rainbow Beach
    - 1170/Agnes Water
    - Rockhampton/Emu Park (If Heading out to Kroombit Cattle Station) - Definitely a must!
    - Airlie Beach
    - Magnetic Island

    These are obviously all of the compulsory stops, however if you are like me and want to make the most of your East Coast Adventure, you should also stop in the below locations:-

    - Surfers Paradise (1 night, however see how you feel when you are there) It isn't always everyones cup of tea
    - Mooloolaba - Great if you love the party atmosphere
    - Brisbane (1 Night)
    - Noosa (3 days)
    - Mission Beach (1 Day)

    In terms of the accommodation, it is not necessary to always book it in advance. The driver will ask you on every bus leg if you require accommodation for any of the compulsory stops. sometimes they can get the hostel prices at a reduced cost as well.

    In saying that, you should try to book your bus 3-4 days in advance, in case there are no seats left.

    I hope this helps =)

    ReplyDelete